Sunday, 26 October 2014

Football is coming home... (a.k.a. Como no te voy a querer)

Hi everyone, it's me again, today I'm not going to speak about any of the experiences I'm having in Australia (or yes). Today's entry is all about FOOTBALL.

How come? Well, because of a combination of factors. First, I am a big football fan in Australia, a country where little by little football is becoming more and more important... but not really... so I miss football sooooo much.  Secondly, a 400 million world-wide audience witnessed the Spanish Clásico (Real Madrid vs Barcelona) yesterday. Third, after an amazing football season playing twice every week with my friends in Úbeda and especially in Granada, it's been almost 3 months since my last football match... and I also miss that!! And last but not least, my chilean neighbour asked me yesterday if I was interested in playing with them next Wednesday.... Are you kidding!? Of course I am!!! ;)

So suddenly a song came into my mind, "Three Lions", or as it is more commonly know, "Football is coming home". As you might know, football was "invented" in England more than 100 years ago. In 1996, the UEFA European Football Championship, in short the Euro96, was held in England. To commemorate that "Football was going home" that year, Ian Broudie, with the help of the comedians David Baddiel and Frank Skinner, wrote this famous song (here you have a Youtube link just in case you don't know it). By the way, Spain was kicked out by England on penalties (2-4) after a 0-0 draw on the quarter-finals.
I think a have a similar feeling as English people had those days, "Football is coming to my Australian house these days". Saturday 25th October 2014, 3 a.m. I was wearing my Real Madrid T-shirt and trying not to shout at every Real Madrid goal (I did a great job, although I do not feel proud of that)... It was an amazing match, after these two months without football, it was exactly what the doctor orders ;)... and if everything goes as planned, next Wednesday I will be playing football at ANU (Australian National University) pitches... GREAT!!

I am not going to write a report about the match (although I could and I feel tempted), in fact I think I am going to stop writing right here.... I think you've got the idea: a football fan, a Real Madrid supporter, in a foreign country, trying to watch the match on the Internet, trying to play football where it's not easy to find people to play with.... and finally... FOOTBALL IS COMING HOME!!!

If you don't like football you won't understand me, but this entry is not meant for me to be understood, it is just for me to express what I feel... and I feel HAPPY because of FOOTBALL. Yes, because of 22 men kicking a ball and running after it... this is the way we are, or at least the way I am...

So, instead of saying goodbye, or see you soon... I will say....

COMO NO TE VOY A QUERER... (just in case... this is a link you should check)

No comments:

Post a Comment